The title of a web page is one of the most important elements. Good web page titles can remarkably increase the effectiveness of your web site.
The title of a web page is the text that is written between the <TITLE> and </TITLE> tag in the HTML code of a web page. If you write the right text between these tags, your web site can get more targeted visitors.
Why are web page titles so important for your web site success?
- The titles of your web pages are important for search engines
To many search engine spiders the title of a web page is more important than other web page elements. If your web page title contains your most important keywords, it's likely that the web page will have a good search engine ranking for these keywords.
- The titles of your web pages are important for web surfers
The title of your web site is the first thing web surfers will see from your web site. Many search engines display the title of a web page as the main link to a web site in the search engine result pages.
In addition, the web page title is used when a web surfers bookmarks your web site.
While most search engines don't allow you to influence the description of your web site, the title of your web site is often listed without any changes.
What does this mean to you?
It's important that your web pages have compelling titles that are compelling to web surfers and that contain your most important keywords.
For example, if you have a sports shoe shop in London, don't use this title tag:
Welcome to Smith & Son
People probably won't click on that link because they don't know who you are. That web page title doesn't look very attractive to the average surfer. Better use this title:
Buy sneakers and sports shoes at competitive prices in our shop in London. Nike, Adidas, Reebok and all other major sports shoe brands.
Why is the second title better than the first one?
The second title has many advantages over the first title.
- The second title contains keywords that are important for a sports shoe business: sports shoes, sports shoe, sneakers and several brand names.
The inclusion of these words in the title increase the change of good search engine rankings for these keywords.
- The second title informs web surfers about the purpose of the web site and it gives them a reason to click: Buy sneakers and sports shoes at competitive prices.
- The second title includes geographical information: ...in our shop in London. People who live in Chicago are probably not interested in a shop that's based in London.
The inclusion of "London" in the web page title allows people to quickly find out if it's worth to visit the web site. In addition, it's more likely that the web site will be found for a search term such as "shoe shop London".
Good web page titles can help you to increase your search engine rankings and to get more people to click on your link.